The Long Beach Leadership Prayer Breakfast, modeled after the National Prayer Breakfast held annually in Washington, D. C., was born in 1982 when a group of local businessmen pursued their goal of sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ with government leaders.
- 1982: Syd Wakeling, Kermit Sutherland and Kenneth Walker founded the event, leading a committee of community leaders.
- 2009: After a period of gradual decline in participation, a new chairman brought renewed emphasis and enthusiasm for prayer.
- 2010: Dr. John Townsend was the keynote speaker; website registraton and e-mail marketing was incorporated.
- 2011: Reach was expanded to nonprofit, church and civic leaders, and support of public sponsors was encouraged.
- 2013: The Long Beach Rescue Mission assumed responsibility for coordination and hosting of the event as a gift to the community.
We look forward to many more years of trusting God with you for wisdom, guidance and intervention as we corporately look to Him.